It wasn't until I had kids myself that I realized how amazing my mother is. She beautifully laid down her life 24 hours a day for her husband and her children. All the while fully devoting her life to Christ and growing in her faith daily. Needless to say, she is my hero.
It also wasn't until I had children of my own that I recognized the significance of Mother's Day.
(It's next Sunday in case you forgot. Your welcome moms.)
Yet how could we possibly honor the women who laid down their very lives for us in just one day?
Although we can never repay what they have given, we can take a day and serve them with just a sliver of the service they have lavished on us.
Where do we start?
FOOD! Mother's day is a perfect day to close the kitchen (allowing it to be the one area of the house that remains clean for more the 30 seconds) and take her out to breakfast... or any meal will do!
Our beautiful city is full of amazing places to eat that use all real and whole food ingredients. Many of them even source all locally grown ingredients that provide us with the best tasting and most nutritious meals there are. Below are just a few that we love and would be great places to take your moms to brunch this Mother's Day.
- They have the best breakfast burrito I've ever had... My stomach is growling just thinking about it.
- It has a bit of a hippy vibe but... maybe that's why it is so good.
- Everything on their menu has a vegetarian/vegan option as well as a meat option. They use clean, grass fed meats and fresh produce.
- They have a great kids menu.
- They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- The perfect spot for moms with kids... Or any age really.
- You choose a pancake batter, toppings and syrup and grill up your pancakes right at your table.
- They also have breakfast entrees with fresh ingredients and seasonal produce they grow themselves.
- They have gluten and dairy free options and they are delicious.
- Perfect name for Mother's day! A beautiful spot for brunch. They also serve lunch and dinner.
- The food is delicious and the menu has lots to offer.
- The menu doesn't specify dairy or gluten free but they do have options if you ask.
132 SW 3rd Ave Portland, OR
- The menu is full of fresh, real food and they serve breakfast and lunch.
- Limited dairy/gluten free options available. Be sure to ask how they cook the entree you are ordering if you are sensitive to dairy as they cook many of them with butter. The oatmeal and granola are safe!
3947 N Mississippi Ave Portland OR
- You may have to wait a while but it's worth it!
- Things to try: they are famous for their Creme Brûlée style oatmeal (it can be made with water or soy if you need it dairy free). Their french toast and hash browns are out of this world too!
- This is a somewhat southern style restaurant with a great atmosphere.
- Not much to say other then it is wonderful!
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
PS: If you have a favorite spot to eat in our city would you share it with us?