OUR HOUSE: The Bedroom #1
drink and imbibe deeply,
Song of Songs 5v1
…drink your fill of love
Dear Matt and Simona,
God likes sex.
He approves, He smiles, He delights in seeing His created ones drinking deeply of this gift from Him.
In fact, He likes what He made so much that He dares use it as a metaphor for the intimacy He invites each of us into with Himself.
But here’s what worries me:
Lots of married couples act as if sex is really not that big of a deal.
They don’t talk about it much, don’t try that hard, don’t wonder why they’ve settled into a less-than-terrific routine of barely enough and barely good enough sex to satisfy either of them.
And I think that makes God sad.
Because He makes a big deal about sex. Good sex (the married, mutually satisfying kind) and bad sex (the adulterous or manipulative or enslaving kind) are woven throughout the narrative of God’s story.
In fact, mid-way through the Bible, He stops and writes a whole book about sex. (The Song of Solomon) As if to say, “Really, you guys, this is what you need!” Yet sadly, throughout history, people have blushed their way through the Song of Solomon, trying to pretend that He didn’t mean sex… surely!
And of course, the two of you know this. You are imbibing deeply, the honeymoon isn’t over, you’re delighting in each other and learning the language of a love you hardly knew possible.
But just in case… just to store away for another day down the road when you’re tempted to minimize intimacy because life gets in the way… I want to remind you…
Why Sex Is Really A Very Big Deal
1. Sex creates intimacy. Sex creates a mystical moment of intimacy so intense, so momentarily out of control— that your hearts burst with the wonder of it. Together.
2. Sex releases hormones. Dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin, all of which flood your bodies with feelings of love during and immediately after sex. Which means that frequent, passionate sex actually keeps you feeling in love with each other.
3. Sex makes you nice. The vulnerability, the satisfaction, the ecstasy of sex, all combine to leave the both of you feeling… nice: full of grace, uncritical and kind.
4. Sex keeps you loyal. Two, now forged into one can take on the world! A woman who gives that kind of passion, a man who gives that kind of pleasure— there’s no stopping them.
5. Sex is thrilling. That unrestrained passion between a man and a woman who have pledged to be with each other forever is better than any other rush life has to offer.
If someone could market a pill that created intimacy, released mood enhancing hormones, made people nice, kept couples loyal, and guaranteed a rush of out-of-control but not-life-threatening thrill… they’d be rich!
And Someone has.
So please, my dear son and beautiful daughter, make sex a big deal.
A really big deal.
When it’s less than great, get help. Take someone you feel comfortable with aside and ask questions. Read books. Keep at it. Don’t stop. And whatever you do, never, ever let life get in the way of this gift God has given the two of you together, forever.
From a heart that wants your love to last and thrive over a lifetime,
For those who are reading: I will be writing about sexuality and intimacy for the next several weeks. If you have questions that you think I may be able to answer, please email me at email@example.com
Some great books:
1. Sheet Music by Kevin Leman
2. Intimacy Ignited by Dr. Joseph & Linda Dillow and Dr. Peter and Lorraine Pintus
3. Intimate Issues by Linda Dillow and Lorraine Pintus (for women)
4. Intended For Pleasure by Dr. Ed Wheat
Do you know of others?
(Image by Hillary Kupish)
 see Ephesians 5v21-33